Step 18: The Final Walk Through
During the week before closing, a final walk through will be conducted by the buyer. This usually occurs 1-2 days prior to closing. The date and time will be requested by the buyer's agent. It is a chance for them to walk through the property and make sure it’s in the same condition as it was when purchased or during the inspection if one is done. The walk-through should take about 20 - 30 minutes. We will contact you to confirm the request.
Here’s what the buyers will check at the final walk through:
- Verify that all repairs have been made. We will obtain copies of paid receipts and any related warranties in advance of the walk through
- Check to make sure the sellers didn’t damage anything when moving out
- Look to make sure all items included in the sales price (lighting fixtures, blinds, curtains, etc.) are still there. This includes anything that was attached to the wall previously such as shelves, TV mounts, etc. unless noted as being excluded on the contract
- Screens and storm windows are in place or stored somewhere
- Property is in “clean”.
- Verify that the garage door remotes, as per the contract, are left within the home.
- Make sure all personal items of the seller and all debris have been removed including clothing, food in the fridge, etc.
Be sure to leave any extra keys and garage door remotes. Most times, these are left in a kitchen drawer so that they will be available to you the buyer after closing.
What happens if the buyer finds damage at the walk-through or the seller didn’t do one of the repairs he was supposed to do?
- The buyer can delay closing by a few days/weeks and ask the sellers to repair whatever items are damaged.
- The buyer can ask the sellers to put money into escrow to cover the cost of the repairs so you can still close on time.
- The buye can ask the sellers to provide a credit to cover the cost of the repairs so they can still close on time, but will have the funds to pay for the needed repairs after closing.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at 402-415-4799 or via email@example.com